Thursday, September 23, 2010

Distracted

Monday's story was about distracted drivers... it got me thinking... Man, am I distracted!

OK, I'm willing to admit that I often talk on my cell phone while driving.  Sometimes I even text (gasp).  I know it's awful.  I do try to only text if I'm at a stoplight or stop sign.  I know it's bad, my husband tells me it's bad but I've never been motivated to stop.  Having an accident would be that motivation I'm sure, but I decided before that happens I should do something about this.

So, I decided to stop.  That was Monday afternoon... fast-forward to Tuesday 11:00 a.m.  I'm leaving work, EARLY!! which is great because I have not been off on time in weeks!  back on track... what do I do?  I grab my phone and call my husband about having lunch together... hang up.. realize what I've just done and then, very angry with myself, call him back and practically yell about how awful I am that I couldn't even make it 24 hours without talking on the stupid cell phone!!  What does he do?  Like a good husband, he just laughs at me.

I decided after that I would start over.  He even tested me by calling from his work number when I was on my way home, to see if I would answer.  I passed the test and didn't answer. 

I've done well since then.  It's only Thursday and I have to admit I'm very tempted to pick up that phone.  Yesterday I realized that I haven't talked to my mom all week.  That's rare.  Why haven't I?  Because I stopped talking while driving and I figured out that I tend to call my mom most often in transition from one place to another.  I called her today during a break at work just so she knows I'm still alive and haven't forgotten about her.  She thought it was funny.

I'm going to keep trying to not talk/text and drive.  We'll see how it goes.  I think I need a blue chip.. tomorrow.. there's always tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment